A weekend in Yogykarta

Yogkykarta is the cooler city of Java..so I am told. We flew from Lombok to Jogja on a bit of a whim and because the flights were cheap (around 60AUD/£35). It's a very busy, very cool city which hasn't yet reached peak tourist unlike Bali.
 
Where to stay?
 
We stayed at an amazing hostel called Sae Sae (book here) which was super cheap at only 7AUD/£3.50. There was also a little cafe inside the hostel which served awesome smoothie bowls, so definitely check this out even if you decide to stay elsewhere - you have many options!
 
Getting from the airport
 
Depending on the traffic, getting to the city should take around 30 mins to an hour. Head to the bus stop and get the local bus for ridiculously cheap, or if you can't be bothered with the hassle, get an Uber for around IDR50,000.
 
Below is my guide on what to do in Yogyakarta. If you are confident on a scooter (you need to be - the roads are mental) you can hire one for around IDR50k a day and if not, stick to Uber/Grab or get a Tuk Tuk and barter hard.
 
(Streets of Yogyakarta)
 
1. Visit Malioboro Road
 
Probably the most famous street in Jogja, and I can see why. The street is hectic and is lined with souvenir shops, street food stalls, tuk tuks and a hell of a lotta people. I actually came back to Malioboro road twice, once by accident in the day and once at night. Visit at night, buy some souviniers, HAGGLE, people watch (or rather, people will watch you - and ask for your photo, a lot) and eat the tasty and cheap cuisine.
 
(The world's most disgusting fruit - Durian)
 
2. Buy some Batik
 
A local told me about the Batik mafia and how they rip you off and copy the original artwork for a much higher asking price so be careful where you buy if you want a legit piece. We stumbled upon the Ori gallery and were shown around by a cheerful, enthusiastic art student who showed us the incredible and intricate process of Batik. It's cool and I walked away with an original piece of my own for 40k (4AUD) - bargain.
 
(Coffee shop near my hostel)
 
3. Eat some grub
 
Grab some street food or head to Jl. Prawirotaman (my favourite street to keep coming back to) and enjoy western and Indonesian food and amazing gelato shops!
 
Via Via is my recommendation for awesome breakfast - and they also do a cooking class and yoga!
 
(Water Palace)
 
4. Visit the Kraton and Water Palace
 
Unfortunately I only managed to visit the Water Palace as I was feeling really unwell. But both are within walking distance to each other and have an awesome history surrounding them. Hire a guide if you wish to learn more. I had a 60 year old student show me around for free because she wanted to practice her English...she told me her son drew the wall art below and told me to pose in front of it, of course the picture was far too cringe so I photographed a stranger instead.
 
Entrance fee: IDR12,500 each (around 1.25AUD)
 
(Wall art near the water palace)
 
5. Climb Mount Merapi
 
I was too ill to do this, but maybe for the best. My boyfriend set off at 10pm and arrived back at the hostel the following day exhausted and barely able to move. Mount Merapi is the most active volcano in Indonesia and you can climb up to the top of it to watch the sunrise. The cost is around IDR450,000 with transport and breakfast included.
 
Be aware you need to have a high level of fitness to do this hike. Jack told me only half of his group made it upto the top! Also - get lots of sleep the day before and take plenty of snacks with you to keep you going.
 
(Tuk Tuk rides make getting around easy)
 
6. Visit the temples
 
Borobudur Temple
 
This is a 9th century UNESCO World Heritage site and is considered one of the world's seven wonders of the ancient era. It's pretty pricey at IDR450,000 (45AUD) and you will need to arrange travel which you can book at your hotel. Set off at 4:30am (I know.) and watch the sunrise here then head onto Prambanan Temple...
 
Prambanan Temple
 
Another UNESCO World Heritage site which is cited as the biggest Hindu temple in SE Asia. I've heard it is very beautiful. The cost of entry is IDR450,000 again but if you have a student card you can get it much cheaper.
 
7. Caves!
 
Check out Goa Jomblang cave. A few fellow travellers have told me that this was their favourite experience in Jogja. Descend into the ancient, vertical cave and get your adrenaline pumping. Also try to check out Kalisuci cave tubing (around 10 minutes away) if you have time.
 
*Can book through your hotel or arrange transport there yourself. Price: IDR450,00
 
(Cages at the bird market)
 
7. Visit the bird market if you want OR avoid it like the plague (advised)
 
We got told to visit the Bird Market, and rather naively, we went. Also known as Patsy (Fauna and Ornamental Plant Market of Yogyakarta), the market moved locations a few years ago due to bird flu, however, undoubtably the concept is the same - a place for men to come and buy a bird as part of 'becoming a man' tradition.
 
To be honest, I don't know what I expected. I hate seeing birds in cages anyway but I was even more horrified at what I witnessed. Cats, rabbits, bats, ferrets and monkey's were all packed into tiny cages, some even jammed in there so unimaginably tightly they were on top of each other, clearly distressed. I saw a monkey running up to the cage barrier, looking confused and screeching and that was enough, I left and cried all the way back to the hostel. Some dude I met at the hostel told me he thought it was "interesting to engage in other cultures", but two weeks later and I still can't get the image of the poor Monkey out of my head and wished I had never stepped foot in the place. If you are an empathetic person who genuinely cares about animal welfare, AVOID avoid avoid!
 
(Graffiti)
 (Caged birds ;-( )
 (Street food)

No comments:

Post a Comment